General Information & Deadlines
- Abstract MUST be submitted electronically via the online submission system by the abstract submission deadline: 28 February 2018.
Abstracts received via fax, e-mail or received after the deadline will not be accepted and therefore will not be considered for the programme or publication. Abstract submission will open on 11 December 2017.
- Abstract can be submitted to the following ECREA sections, networks and temporary working groups:
Some networks and temporary working groups have open calls for ECREA 2018. Please note that networks and temporary working groups only have limited slots in the general conference programme. You can find the number of slots in the ECREA 2018 call for papers.Networks
- Audience and Reception Studies
- Communication and Democracy
- Communication History
- Communication Law and Policy
- Crisis Communication
- Diaspora, Migration and the Media
- Digital Culture and Communication
- Digital Games Research
- Film Studies
- Gender and Communication
- International and Intercultural Communication
- Interpersonal Communication and Social Interaction
- Journalism Studies
- Media Industries and Cultural Production
- Organisational and Strategic Communication
- Philosophy of Communication
- Political Communication
- Radio Research
- Science and Environment Communication
- Television Studies
Temporary working groups:
- Women’s Network of ECREA
- Children, Youth and Media
- Media and Religion
- Media & the City
- Abstracts can be amended in the online submission system until the deadline of 28 February 2018. After the deadline, all abstracts will be locked for further editing.
- All successfully submitted abstracts will advance to the peer review process. The ECREA 2018 Scientific Committee members will consider its formal aspects and the content during the evaluation procedures. They will decide which abstracts will be accepted and may reconsider the final presentation type.
- Accepted abstracts will form part of the final scientific programme and as such will be presented onsite as well as published in the official conference proceedings. Abstracts not suitable for display will be rejected. Please have your abstract checked for correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and formal structure. The organiser reserves the right to edit abstracts if necessary prior to the publication.
- All presenting authors will receive an acceptance/rejection notification via e-mail by 7 May 2018.
- All accepted presenting authors are obliged to confirm their participation in the conference programme until 1 June 2018 and register by 15 September 2018. Those presenting authors who do not confirm their participation, do not register for the Conference or have not paid the registration fee by the deadline will be automatically withdrawn from the final programme.
- During the submission a preferred session type must be selected for each submitted abstract. Please note that the ECREA 2018 Scientific Committee holds the right to change the final session type if considered accordingly.
There are two separate submission platforms for individual paper submission and for panel submissions. The abstract formatting requirements (see below) are the same for both.
- Individual paper submission
Submission for single abstracts will be presented (if accepted and selected) within one session together with different abstracts from different authors. They will be selected and grouped thematically by the Scientific Committee.
Authors submit their abstracts indicating their preference of presenting it as a paper (=oral presentation) or a poster. Individual papers must fulfil the abstract formatting requirements mention below.
- Panel submission
Panel convenors may directly submit a whole session (=panel), which consists of a panel rationale and 5 individual panel paper abstracts.
To submit a panel, the panel rationale must be submitted first (submitted, not just saved as draft). Once the rationale is submitted, 5 slots for individual panel paper abstracts (A,B,C,D,E) will be opened. Panel convenors can then submit and edit each individual panel paper abstract.
The whole panel (rationale as well as the individual panel paper abstracts) must fulfil the abstract formatting requirements mentioned below.
The panel convenors are expected to submit the panel rationale as well as all individual panel paper abstracts and to list all responsible panel paper authors. The panel convenors will be the main contact persons for the panels.
- Individual paper submission
Abstract Formatting Requirements
- All abstracts must be written in English.
- When submitting your abstract, consider and choose the corresponding ECREA section and Temporary working groups .
- The abstract title is limited to 30 words and must be submitted using the Sentence case (e.g. This is the title of my abstract)
- Up to 10 authors can be mentioned under one abstract (including the presenting author). The presenting author is selected first; other authors can be added only when the presenting author has been inserted. However, the authors order can be changed if needed by swopping the names in the list of co-authors. The first name is considered to be the main author. Please note that participants can be nominated as the first (presenting) author in one accepted submission only. If more than one contribution with the same first (presenting) author is accepted, the participant stated as the first (presenting) author will be asked to decide which paper he/she wants to present. There is no restriction on the number of presentations where a conference participant is listed as co-author and participants can still act as chairs or respondents of a panel.
- Maximum abstract length is 500 words.
- No pictures/tables/charts are allowed within the abstract text.
- No additional files can be uploaded.
- Number of submitted abstracts per submitter/author is not limited.